![]() |
| Tom Cruise in "Mission Impossible" |
J.J. told the May issue of Playboy: "There was nothing I ever asked him to do that he wouldn't do. There were things I asked him not to do because he was so willing to put himself physically in danger. I would be like, 'There's not a f***ing chance you're going through that window. If you get cut. . .' But he was always about the better idea."
J.J. also insisted Tom, 50, is one of the most generous and professional actors he has ever worked with.
He said: "Before I started, I called Cameron Crowe, and asked him his advice, since he'd made two movies with Tom ['Jerry Maguire' and 'Vanilla Sky']. He just said, 'Brother, you are going to be spoiled.' I now know he was right. Tom is the hardest-working, most generous, passionate-about-the-form collaborator I could imagine.
"I was a first-time feature director, and before we started shooting Tom said, 'I'm your actor; you're the director.' There was not a day on that movie when Tom was not supportive, encouraging, collaborative, excited. He never mandated anything. He never insisted on things going a certain way."
